Saturday, September 19, 2009

What A Busy Week

We've been working hard this week and accomplished most of what I planned.

I've really been using Starfall a lot this week, as well as Rosetta Stone. The Rosetta Stone is really helping, MashaALLAH, we're using more Arabic all the time and my daughter has naturally picked up sentence structure and verb conjugation through the program, AlhamduLILLAH.

Alphabet Sounds

It seems to be easier to rotate the older two to the computer for language lessons so that I can give them individual attention without interruption.

I might set up other stations as well if I can stop procrastinating, InshaALLAH. An Arabic station would be nice. I keep coming across such helpful things like this Arabic letter position flip book at Talibiddeen Jr.

First, Initial and Last Form of Arabic Letters

First, Initial and Last Form of Arabic Letters

I printed it on green cardstock and then laminated it and punched two holes in the top (ouch, my hand - the three hole punch wouldn't line up correctly, so I used the hand-held one). I used 1"loose leaf rings (100 for $7.99 on EBay) and I didn't cut between the individual letters (to keep it simple).

I also printed out the Arabic Numbers Practice Book from YemenLinks.


Arabic Notebooking This page is from Talibiddeen Jr.

Arabic Practice Book

Hindi Numerals

Instead of letting my daughter color the pages and forget all about them, I borrowed the idea from Chasing Cheerios to print the pages and put them in protective sheets. We added them to her binder and now she can write on them with the dry erase markers.

Reusable workbooks, MashaALLAH. It saves paper, she can do them again as needed, and when she's done, her brother can use them, InshaALLAH.

We've been going strong in our Islamic Studies, starting with the family tree of the Prophet Muhammad salallahu,alayhi wa salaam.I read a bit from our new books and added some of the more vibrant details from the Sealed Nectar as well as Stories of the World by Safia Iqbal.

We finally put a few names on the tree and in our notebooks.

Adding Names


Instead of doing traditional coloring pages, we colored the most vital elements and added them to our notebooks.

Mother and Father

Halimah, Foster mother of the Prophet (SAWS)

My daughter is doing well with her vocabulary and spelling, but we really need to work on spacing! The words run together quite a bit but I think daily copywork will fix this problem, InshaALLAH.

I find notebooking fun and less stressful than lapbooking. MashaALLAH, there are some beautiful lapbooks out there but I think I need a tutorial, lol. Not about how a lapbook is put together, I know how they look, but who does most of the work and how many days does it take?

Here is are some pages from our notebook. We were learning about the dangers of idol worship and also about the Prophet Adam (AS), Habeel and Qabeel, and how the community grew.

Islamic Studies Notebooking Layout

What is Idol Worship?

The People of Adam Increase in Number


The opportunities to study geography are abundant, so we started with Makkah and Medina and Jeddah.

Makkah is on the Arabian Peninsula

I've been wanting to do this for a while and I would like to continue with some key elements of geography (continents, bodies of water and land forms, ie peninsula, island, etc) as well. I have all the necessary items for this but I would love to get a large world map, InshaALLAH.

0 comments:

Post a Comment