Tuesday, April 21, 2009

We Did It!

UCMAS MUG AND MEDAL

My daughter went to her first mental math competition this weekend, via UCMAS. We attended the morning competition and I must say that I was truly impressed with the efficiency and organization of such a large event.


Team UCMAS

There were about 140 students in her age group and about 400 students altogether. There was a second competition of older kids two hours later with just as many competitors. My daughter's group of competitors used the abacus to solve their math problems. They had eight minutes to complete 100 numbers. She told me that she completed about sixty and I heard that one child finished the whole thing in four minutes!


Mathletes

The tests are being graded this week and the results will be announced next week, InshaALLAH.She did well, mashaALLAH, since this was her first competition and we had a goal of completing about sixty numbers of mixed addition and subtraction.

There were about one thousand parents in the waiting area - no exaggeration!

1000's of People

We were in and out in about an hour and there were some serious smiles on all the faces of the children - except one but that's because he wasn't competing and he wanted a mug, lol.

He Wanted a Medal Too

My daughter is so innocent, mashaALLAH. She's been speaking regularly to my grandmother on the phone and she told her that she was in a math competition and that she won and received a medal and everyone else did too.

UCMAS Competition

0 comments:

Post a Comment