Friday, July 11, 2008

We Finally Planted Something

I went to Home Depot with my daughter the other day and we browsed the garden center. Of course, I forgot all about the sunflower mishap (they blew away)and she quickly reminded me that I said we could plant something else. So we looked around and found this:

Jiffy Greenhouse II

It's a simple greenhouse and some mint. I hope it grows into something useful because we've done this before but I think we over-watered the seedlings. This time, InshaALLAH we will be more vigilant.

The most exciting part for her was adding the water and watching the disks of soil get plump.

Soil Disks

Plump Soil

Last night my daughter and I stayed up way too late making sweet potato pies. She really had a good time mashing the potatoes and pouring in the ingredients.

We Made Pie

By the time we finished, we were too tired to taste them, especially since you have to wait for them to cool. My mother-in-law had a taste and said they were good. I got the recipe from here. Like others who rated the recipe, we used 1/2 the amount of sugar and for the other 1/2, we used brown sugar. Also, to make the pie mixture a little thicker, I added two tablespoons of flour.

We finished our chapter on ponds today by talking about the food chain of pond animals. We made another page for our science journal too.

Top of the Food Chain, Y'all



Here is an interactive food chain activity that you can try.

0 comments:

Post a Comment