Friday, August 22, 2008

Keeping Track of Ourselves Part I

I downloaded homeschool tracker last year and never used it. Not because it was useless; on the contrary, it probably would have saved me a reasonable amount of time.

I was still trying to figure out what worked best for us and I had two very little ones at the time (like I will have this coming school year after the baby is born, InshaALLAH but I have the advantage of experience).

So, I downloaded it again it and have started to establish our one-room schoolhouse.

This is a list of the subjects that we will cover InshaALLAH with the main resources that I would like to use. It's mostly just a reminder for myself, but if it helps you then Masha'ALLAH.


Phonics -
Pathway Readers - JazakILLAH Khair to Sister Candace for bringing this to my attention. This is a program set up for Amish schoolrooms so the reading comprehension is centered around morals and values. It looks like there aren't any aqeedah issues.

Son: Beginning to Read/Preschool Kit in conjunction with Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons and Donna Young's Manuscript Lessons

Daughter: Second Grade Language Arts Kit

I like what Saxon Phonics has done for my daughter but I am so tired of it. She learned to code words and think for herself before asking for help while reading, but the reading comprehension is very insignificant in the program. She needs much more practice than the tiny bits on the worksheets. All that aside, I will use it again for my son when he reaches first grade phonics, InshaALLAH. Pathway Readers has an online placement test that your child can take. My daughter is right on target at the second grade level.

Extras: possibly something by Leap Frog or Hooked on Phonics as fillers for my son.

Spelling:
Daughter: practice with words from Scripps National Spelling Bee's Consolidated List and Merriam-Webster's "Spell-It" booklet.


Singapore Math

Son: Essential Math Kindergarten A and B


Daughter: Math 2A and 2B

Starting to Arrive
I got these from Ebay a few days ago, so we'll be using the US Edition instead of Standard.


Copywork: I am making something for this - I've only begun to develop it. This is to supplement the other subjects and aid in memorization.

Stay-tuned for these subjects, InshaALLAH
Earth Science
Islamic Studies
Arabic
Qur'an
Art
Field Trip

0 comments:

Post a Comment