Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Learning To Read

My son is doing well with his lessons, mashaALLAH. I am using the Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons and so far he likes it. He's not quite ready to begin writing so I am showing him how to form letters with sand on a tray.

Sand Writer


It's a bit messy but he likes it anyway. Also, I make words with the few letters that he knows and I ask him to read them by sounding out the words or I ask him to identify the letters by sound (i.e. "Show me the letter that sounds like mmmmm).


Sounds like mmmmmmm


We also still have the other tree on the wall. I decided to take down the rain forest animals (finally) and add the alphabet. I will probably just have him find the letters that he knows by pointing them out (with the meter stick) and tell me the sounds. I think that I will add some acorns to the bottom with the capital letters on them.

Our Alphabet Tree


He's also doing well with his math.


Singapore Math K Book A


Sometimes I let him work with his dad just to take the pressure off of me. It's different and he learns to adjust to different styles of teaching.


Learning With Dad

0 comments:

Post a Comment