Saturday, October 10, 2009

Weaving Wonder

This was a productive week, MashaALLAH. My son is doing well with his reading lessons so I decided to add a tiny intro to phonics. He has learned the sounds of some of the letters of the alphabet (I try to do a little bit and then get them reading whole words as soon as possible).

These are the words that he has learned so far.

Teaching the 4 Year Old to Read

Each day, I rewrite them and then cross them off as he reads them. He struggles with the letters "F" and "C" so we will have to focus on those until he knows them without hesitation, InshaALLAH.

I started an alphabet binder for him back in August with coloring pages for each letter.


Alphabet Binder


Since his progress is steady and faster than I anticipated, I added a file folder for each letter by using lapbook pages from Homeschool Share and Preschool Express.

The folders have been three hole punched with the ends cut off (instructions and tips found here).

Extras

I might use the discarded portions later when he practices writing his name, InshaALLAH.

Ff

Now we can easily add them to the binder and it gives us something exciting (I hope) and different to do with each letter.

Alphabet Binder Letter F

Overall, he really liked making the Letter F Painting the best. We placed masking tape on the paper in the form of the letter and then colored over it. We then removed the tape and voila!

Meanwhile, my daughter has been bugging me to finish her scarf but she doesn't have enough control over the knitting needles just yet. I had to think fast (okay, not that fast, we started that scarf a long time ago) and AlhamduLILLAH I found a tutorial on www.YouTube.com on weaving with a cardboard loom.




It was a success, MashaALLAH and she really adored the project.

Cardboard Loom

She finished it in a couple of hours and made a nice little rug for her little dollhouse cottage.

Finished Weaving Product

I will have to take a picture of it in the dollhouse one of these days,maybe.

0 comments:

Post a Comment