Thursday, March 6, 2008

Progress

Today, we continued with Suratul Ikhlas. Her memorization is going well, masha'ALLAH.
Saxon Phonics 1 is coming along well also. Each day a new letter is introduced and she has to use the letter tiles to spell words.

Saxon letter tiles

This part is really review for us because she can already read but the rules that are implemented are new concepts for her. She's getting a solid reading foundation to back up what she already knows, so I am happy. Her handwriting has improved quite a bit. She writes the letters on a mini white board that I purchased from Walmart for about three or four dollars and then she writes them on her spelling sheet.

"a" little practice

She does get confused about the direction of a couple of letters like "j" and "d" and "b" but this should improve with time, InshaALLAH. My husband told her to picture the word "bed". "b" comes before "d" in "bed". This is helping.

We're almost done with the parts of the tree but I think we will do a lapbook for trees since the last one was so easy.

The Fast and the Furious

In social studies, we are continuing with the concepts of school and school workers and the special unit practices on maps and map legends:

School Workers

After school, we have a late lunch and my daughter reads a book of her choosing. I read to her during school, so she has to spend at least 10-15 minutes reading on her own. Recently, my husband stopped by one of the local libraries and brought home a bunch of library discards for us!

More Library Discards

At the end of this week, InshaALLAH, there is a unit on manners and following rules. This corresponds with our Five Pillars of Islam unit because manners are extremely important during Hajj. I will try to tie the two lessons together and maybe we can pull out those manner cards. This would make a good lapbook too (5 Pillars) and since I can't seem to find any on the web, this will be one of my own undertaking. Make du'a, InshaALLAH that I can pull it off!

0 comments:

Post a Comment