Sunday, March 9, 2008

Stay inside where it's warm

Fighting the Wind



In spite of the freezing cold, this was a very productive week. We accomplished everything on our schedule, AlhamduLILLAH.


My planner

My daughter had her first assessment and completed it with no errors, masha'ALLAH. The phonics program is great so far and we have become more comfortable with it and follow it along seamlessly.

Next week, InshaALLAH, I plan to introduce a new Arabic text into the curriculum. It is the Arabic Language for Beginners by Dr. Hosni Kandil. The book starts off with familiar vocabulary like the members of the family and moves on from there. I believe this also corresponds with our social studies lessons, but I need to check and make sure, InshaALLAH.


My planner Week 2


Also, our board with the calendar needs numbers in both Arabic and English, so I will need to print out some flash cards for both.

Board

For Qur'an, we will once again cover Suratul Ikhlas to make sure my daughter knows it comfortably, InshaALLAH. She seems to be doing well with her recitation but I don't want to rush her. We also need to start adding more du'a memorization. She knows the basics for eating and for the washroom and for sneezing but we will need to do more, InshaALLAH. I haven't had a problem finding resources for learning, AlhamduLILLAH. If anything, I find that my printer and laminator can't keep up with the demand!

We have another lapbook to add to our resources, AlhamduLILLAH.


Inside the Five Pillars of Islam


This one is specifically for the Five Pillars of Islam. The front cover is courtesy of Talibiddeen Jr. It's nice to have something visual for the children other than coloring pages and worksheets all the time so that learning is not always mundane or predictable.


Lapbook cover for the Five Pillars of Islam

The lapbooks are valuable because they can pull them out when they are bored or if they have questions about previous lessons. As they get older, InshaALLAH, they can become more elaborate and contain more complex information - especially since they will predominantly do them by themselves!

This lapbook has a simple game at the top to help with Arabic terminology.

Five Pillars Matching Game

These terms are used interchangeably (like zakat and charity)so I wanted my daughter to be familiar with both. Each pillar has a velcro square so that the correct words can be matched.


Five Pillars Matching Game


I also found a nice little flowchart for Hajj.


Hajj


It shows all of the places one needs to go and what worships must be performed. I left the link at the top of the page and laminated it. I then cut it into three panels so that it would fold easily when the lapbook is closed.

The five daily salat ovals can be found on a printable from Talibideen Jr. I just cut it up, punched a hole and added a brass tack. The other photos that I used were found in Google Images under keyword searches like Five Pillars, Hajj, zakat, etc.


DSCN1561

0 comments:

Post a Comment